Monday, July 5, 2010

KSSF (Stinson Field) - San Antonio Aviation

It's the 2nd time I've been to this airport, but the first time I've taken the crew car from San Antonio Aviation. We are starting to travel to SA more these days to spend time with my wife's aging grandparents. This is an awesome little airport on the south side of town, near the missions.

Two reasons why I chose KSSF over KSAT (San Antonio International). First, they don't charge a ramp fee for parking in front of the FBO (if you buy some fuel). Second, they charge a lot less for fuel. Third, because it's smaller, it's a lot easier to get into and out of quickly. There's no waiting on the ramp. Last and most importantly. We get outstanding service from Randy and his staff at San Antonio Aviation. Everyone there is friendly and they provide excellent service for their customers. Now on the the crew car...

It looked like a mercury marquis, but I couldn't tell you the year. There were a few things about this car that struck me. First, the A/C takes a good 20 to 30 seconds to kick on after you start the car. We were instructed by a series of post-it notes covering the window switches, not to roll down any of the windows (save for the driver's side window). There was a neat little crack in the windshield... and there was some kind of film on the windows (save for the driver's side window) that was not very well put on... in short, this was a crappy crew car. And I loved every minute of driving it! Did I mention that this thing drove like a boat riding in the wake of another, bigger boat. I was afraid to gun the engine and/or step on the brake too much for fear that the car would react in a very unsuspecting way... but hey, it did have a current inspection sticker on the windshield for whatever that's worth. Anyway, we had lunch with the grandparents as well as my wife's uncle and his girlfriend... and at the end of it all, we went to go pick up my mother-in-law who had been visiting her son for the last two weeks. We didn't test the radio or any of the other "amenities" that the car has to offer as I was concentrating on the road in front of me and controlling the SS Minnow.... I was concerned we'll have to throw down the anchor on this thing about a half of a mile ahead of our destination to stop the car, but we ended up parking in a structure at the top of a long uphill ramp that slowed up down to a manageable speed. Enjoy the pics.

No comments: