Sunday, June 3, 2018

McAlester Oklahoma KMLC

It's been a while since I've had anything to post. Too many real life issues have been getting in the way of my desire to fly but just when I though all hope was lost, my friend Scott saves the day. He called last night and said that he wanted to fly somewhere. Anywhere, and he let me pick. I wanted to fly somewhere I had never been, so McAlester Regional it was. It's in a small town in Southeastern Oklahoma. We were in the 100s yesterday but had a cool front come through last night so our highs will only be in the low 90s today. This morning was broken at 5500 so we gave it a shot. By the time we crossed the Red Fiver, it was nothing but blue skies.






We finally got to McAlester and found some interesting terrain surrounding the airport. We landed on runway 02 and had to dive in to the runway because of a large hill on the approach end. Likewise, there was another big hill off of the departure end of 02. Once there, we found that they had a crew car! Maybe another Crown Victoria? Not this time. We had a red Oldsmobile Alero. This is a new one for us. Breathtaking, yes?







Aside for the obvious, I was a little concerned about the previous condition of the last one to park it.  I really hope that it wasn't a fellow pilot. It also looks like there was a fire in the door for the fuel filler neck. I can't understand what all of that black is. Our 2 tone red Oldsmobile had a few other tricks up its sleeve for us. When we opened the doors, it wasn't too bad. It had a little trash like a Starbucks Frappuccino can and some paper. I'm still waiting for the day I find a condom in a crew car. The A/C didn't work (surprise) and in order to roll down the driver side window, you had to lock all of the other windows first. In order to roll down the other windows, you had to unlock the windows. And of course, the Service Engine Soon light was on. After we started it, nothing blew up or was drastically smoking.



We headed into town to find "What About Bob", a local restaurant that popped up on Google Maps. 


It was actually pretty good. We each had 2 eggs, sausage or bacon, hash browns and 4 pieces of toast or biscuits and gravy for $6.50. Not too shabby!

All in all, the car wasn't horrible but I was concerned about the fuel door. We made it back in and started our preflight and headed home. I'll leave you with some pictures of our scenery on hte way back home to McKinney.









Stay tuned for other adventures.

No comments: