Monday, June 15, 2020

Granbury KDGJ

I know it's been a while since I made a post. A lot has happened in the last year. I don't need to re-hash everything that has been in the news. What I need to do is take you on a trip to Granbury. The date was Sunday, June 14th. We celebrate Flag day on this date but I also celebrate my parent's anniversary on the date, which is one day after my younger brother's birthday. June is a busy month.

We departed McKinney at 11:56 AM on an IFR flight plan to Granbury KDGJ. If you have never had the opportunity to go to Granbury, put it on your list. It's right on Lake Granbury, southwest of the DFW area. It's 76 NM from McKinney as the crow flies. Our flight plan had us going out at 4000 feet using the Maverick transition, which would take us over DFW. We stayed on the runway heading (180º) for a lot longer than expected. By the time they turned us we would be crossing Addison on the south side of the airport.

On our way toward DFW, we got a nice view of Love Field, off of our left wing.


As many times as I've flown over DFW, it is still so much fun to do it. Sorry for the crappy shot, We crossed on the north end and I was not in position for a good shot.


As we were heading toward Ft Worth, we got vectored a bit so we were heading right over the Ft Worth NAS, formerly known as Carswell Air Force Base.

This was our last fun inside of the DFW Bravo airspace. The rest of the trip was getting to Granbury. It's a nice little airport with the runway being 3603' x 60' 14/32.

Once we were on the ground, we headed out for some lunch. Our ride for the adventure was the usual Ford Crown Vic. We had 4 to choose from but 3 were already gone. It was your typical municipal airport crew car. An old retired police car.

Interesting interior.

Along with an interesting warning. I've never seen this in a crew car.

It was a typical car that we usually get. Every now and then someone surprises us with a different car. Not here. The good thing was that it had a great A/C in it. It was hot and the A/C was nice and cold. I have to give this car a B-. 

So we took off for lunch to Stumpy's, as it was recommended by the really nice guy at the FBO. Unfortunately, Stumpy's had a line and we didn't want to spend the day waiting for a meal so we opted for the Historic Downtown Granbury where we opted for lunch at the Filling Station. Scott opted for a salad and I had the chicken fried chicken special. We were both pleased they didn't have huge portions. All in all a good choice.

It's a gas station themed restaurant that had a nice menu at reasonable prices.

So we paid our tab and headed back to the airport to see that 2 of the other crew cars had made it back.

Our way back didn't go exactly like planned. Scott filed an IFR flight plan and we were going to pick up our clearance in the air. Unfortunately, the controller working that sector was a bit busy and never got back to us. We finally were able to get flight following and he asked us if we wanted to go over the top on the way back. Who would refuse that? He brought us in just north of the Ft Worth NAS.

And between Meecham and Alliance. I couldn't get a good shot of Alliance.


As I said before, I can't get enough of flying over the top of DFW.

As soon as we were on the east side of DFW, they turned us direct to McKinney. That took us just north of Addison.

We made it back to McKinney a few minutes later with the temp at 93º. Summer is definitely here but not officially until June 21. So concludes our adventure to Granbury. Sorry for being out of my normal writing style. I'm trying to get my legs back underneath me again.

No comments: